Emotional intelligence is about applying the right approach for a particular individual, in a particular moment. This means reading the person, the scene, and anticipating how it will play out. Improving your emotional intelligence is a lifelong endeavor. It requires you to nurture many perspectives including:
- Being aware of your emotions and their effects
- Regulating those emotions
- Understanding your motivations and the motivations of others
- Empathizing with and respecting the feelings and perspectives of others
- Effectively using different communication styles in different situations.
We must develop this skill to better understand, empathize and negotiate with other people.